Every spring, PalmettoPride and Keep South Carolina Beautiful, in partnership with Keep America Beautiful, Inc., coordinate the Great American Cleanup™, a localized cleanup, beautification and community improvement program.
How it works:
First, find your local representative via our drop down menu on our website to sign up with a Keep America Beautiful affiliate in your county. If there is not one, then sign up with us!
You can organize your own litter pickup event or you can participate in one of our special activities
Think of it like a game. A game that we all win. Your trophy is a clean yard, park, waterway, neighborhood, median, parking lot, South Carolina…. You can participate in as many levels as you want. And our end goal is tri-fold:
- There is a lot less litter on the ground.
- We have a lot more people engaged in litter pickups across the state and right at your home.
- The momentum of this wildly successful Carolina Cleanup campaign builds awareness to the masses who still litter and we can change their behavior.
Sign up and participate anytime
See a piece of litter, pick it up! All day long you’ll have… a warm and fuzzy feeling inside that you’ve done something good for your community! We will start this campaign on April 1.
- Follow us on Instagram: PalmettoPrideKSCB
- See a piece of litter.
- Snap a photo.
- Post it on Instagram. Make sure to hashtag! #GACSC #PalmettoPride
- Pick up the piece of trash and throw it away.
We will have 3 prizes (TBD):
- First person to post a picture
- Most unusual item
- Most number of posts
Neighborhood Pickup/Community Cleanup/Grants groups
This level is your traditional cleanup. If you are a PalmettoPride Grant recipient, you are in this category. If you want to participate in a planned cleanup, we’ll help you find one. If you want to organize your own, we’ll help you get started.
- If you a Grants recipient and you need to fulfill your cleanup requirement, contact Sherryl Jenkins to get your supplies.
- If you want to participate in an organized cleanup, look on this list of Keep America Beautiful affiliates to find an affiliate in your county.
- You don’t have an affiliate close to you? No problem, we can help you organize a cleanup of your own or you can participate in one of our individual cleanup ideas mentioned above. Click here to learn how to organize your own cleanup.
This is a great activity for young people or families.
- Pick a date and a location
- Download the scavenger hunt list.
- Go out with a trash bag and gloves, provided by PalmettoPride
- Cross off items you find in your cleanup
- If you can pick up the trash, then please do! And throw away the bag when you are through. Please do not attempt to pick up any item that is hazardous.
- Find some items not on the list? We’d appreciate it if you picked those up too! And add them to the list
- Send us your treasure hunt list!
Special prizes will go to one special entry. We’ll draw from all the lists we get in within 1 week after the cleanup.
Join a Team
Become a permanent team player by adopting a highway, monofilament recycling bin, boat landing, or spot. We have several programs that would benefit from a dedicated team player like you.
Want to download some GAC materials? Here are the links:
- Graphics and Logos* Click here
- T-Shirt Art* Click here
- Great American Cleanup Poster* Click here
- Earth Day Poster* Click here.
You can find all photos and new, social and traditional media information within the “Communications” portion of the KAB project manual.