Every spring, PalmettoPride and Keep South Carolina Beautiful, in partnership with Keep America Beautiful, Inc., coordinate the Great American Cleanup™, a localized cleanup, beautification and community improvement program.
How it works:
2018 Kick off: March 20th
First, find your local representative via our drop down menu on our website to sign up with a Keep America Beautiful affiliate in your county. If there is not one, then sign up with us! Keep reading to see which option is best for you.
You can organize your own litter pickup event or you can participate in one of our special activities.
Think of it like a game. A game that we all win. Your trophy is a clean yard, park, waterway, neighborhood, median, parking lot, South Carolina…. You can participate in as many levels as you want. And our end goal is tri-fold:
- There is a lot less litter on the ground.
- We have a lot more people engaged in litter pickups across the state and right at your home.
- The momentum of this wildly successful Carolina Cleanup campaign builds awareness to the masses who still litter and we can change their behavior.
Neighborhood Pickup/Community Cleanup/Grants groups
This level is your traditional cleanup. If you are a PalmettoPride Grant recipient, you are in this category. If you want to participate in a planned cleanup, we’ll help you find one. If you want to organize your own, we’ll help you get started.
- If you are a Grants recipient and you need to fulfill your cleanup requirement, contact Sherryl Jenkins to get your supplies.
- If you want to participate in an organized cleanup, look on our drop down list of counties at the top of the page to find a Keep America Beautiful affiliate in your county.
- You don’t have an affiliate close to you? No problem, we can help you organize a cleanup of your own or you can participate in one of our individual cleanup ideas mentioned above. Click here to learn how to organize your own cleanup and sign up for GAC supplies using this form.
This is a great activity for young people or families.
- Pick a date and a location.
- Download the scavenger hunt list.
- Take a trash bag and wear some gloves (safety first!). If you need supplies for your scavenger hunt, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Have fun! While you are picking up trash, see if you find any items on the Scavenger Hunt list. Check off all the items you find.
- Send us your completed Scavenger Hunt list.
Join a Team
Become a permanent team player by adopting a highway, joining our Clean Teams, or adopting a monofilament recycling bin at a dock or boat landing. We have several programs that would benefit from a dedicated team player like you. You can adopt a road, park, boat landing, neighborhood, etc.
Want to download some GAC materials?